In this three-day course, students will learn multiple ways to accomplish tasks in Puppet and how to choose which is most appropriate for a given situation. Students will design and build modules and extend modules from the Forge. Students will also learn best practices for implementing Roles and Profiles in their infrastructure.
€1.000 + VAT
Students will start this course by installing Puppet Enterprise. They will then learn Puppet best practices and use Puppet to write simple classes. Students will learn how to update and extend existing modules. The practitioner will be taught through a combination of lecture and relevant, real-world, hands-on exercises. After completing this course, students will be able to deploy basic system configurations using best practices for Puppet in a Master-Agent setup.
After completing this course, students will show a mastery of the Puppet DSL and common design patterns, providing them with solutions and problem-solving techniques along with a better understanding of Puppet best practices.
- More advanced Puppet DSL constructs that can be used to write more elegant code
- Using data structures to create resources programmatically
- Using custom facts to expose information about nodes
- The concepts of modularity and composability and how they refer to module design
- Methods for testing Puppet code and infrastructure
- Using MCollective from the command line to automate infrastructure orchestration
- Troubleshooting techniques and standard log files
- The Roles and Profiles design pattern and the benefits it offers
- Several different methods for managing portions of files
- Why the Anchor Pattern exists and when to use it rather than the function
- Creating generalizable modules and contributing them back to the community via the Puppet Forge
- Sharing functionality between classes using inheritance
In this course, we expect attendees to have a solid understanding of configuration management strategies. You should have taken or have at least six months of experience using Puppet.
Tutors certified by Puppet